Information We Collect
We may collect a variety of information from or about you or your devices from various sources, as described below.
Information You Provide to Us
- Account Information.
- When you create a ProfitStance account, you may provide us with certain information, such as name, postal address, email, and telephone number.
- Tax Document Information.
- When you prepare tax documents with ProfitStance, we may collect additional information about you, such as date of birth, government issued ID (e.g., social security number or tax ID), and cryptocurrency wallet addresses.
We also collect information about your trading activity from exchange servers and wallet content, which you provide to us via an API or CSV files or other method. This information may include transaction histories and trading activities (e.g., purchases, trades, and sales of cryptocurrencies) in your exchange accounts . We use this information to calculate your gains and losses and enable you to generate your cryptocurrency tax documents for reporting periods.
- If you contact us directly, we may receive additional information about you. For example, when you contact customer support, we may receive your name, email address, phone number, the contents of a message or attachments that you may send to us, and other information you choose to provide.
- Invitation Information.
- Payment Information.
- If you make a purchase using a credit or debit card through the Services, your payment information may be collected by a third-party payment provider and not by us.
Information We Collect When You Use Our Services
- Location Information.
- When you use our Services, we may collect information about your location. This is for the purpose of verifying the authenticity of your login credentials.
- Device Information.
- We receive information about the device and software you use to access our Services, including IP address, device identifier, web browser type, device model, and operating system version.
- Usage Information.
- To help us understand how you use our Services and to help us improve them, we automatically receive information about your interactions with the Services, like the pages or other content you view, and the dates and times of your visits.
- Information from Cookies and Similar Technologies.
- We and third party partners collect information using cookies, pixel tags, or similar technologies. Our third party partners, such as analytics and advertising partners, may use these technologies to collect information about your online activities over time and across different online services. Cookies are small text files containing a string of alphanumeric characters. We may use both session cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie disappears after you close your browser. A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser and may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to our website.
Please review your web browser “Help” file to learn the proper way to modify your cookie settings. Please note that if you delete, or choose not to accept, cookies from the Services, you may not be able to utilize the features of the Services to their fullest potential.
Do not lose your login information. When you use our platform to access and collect your cryptocurrency data, we collect the information and store it in encrypted form that may only be accessed through the use of your user ID and password. Although we retain your data in encrypted form so that you can access your data, we do not retain access information for your data. If you forget or otherwise do not retain your password, your data will not be accessible and you will have to repeat the process of gathering and storing your data.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We use the information we collect:
- To provide and maintain our Services;
- To understand and analyze how you use the Services, with the intent of improving and enhancing our Services and developing new products, services, features, and functionality;
- To communicate with you, to provide you with updates and other information relating to the Services, to provide information that you request, to respond to comments and questions, and otherwise provide customer support;
- To permit you to prepare tax documentation;
- To find and prevent fraud;
- To respond to trust and safety issues that may arise;
- For compliance purposes, including enforcing our Terms of Service or other legal rights, or as may be required by applicable laws and regulations or requested by any judicial process or governmental agency; and
- For other purposes for which we provide specific notice at the time of the collection of the information.
How we share the information we collect
We do not share or otherwise disclose information we collect from or about you except as described below or otherwise disclosed to you at the time of the collection.
- Vendors and Service Providers.
- We may share information we receive with vendors and service providers retained in connection with providing the Service. However, shared information will not include your financial data.
- Tax Authorities.
- We enable you to retrieve your transaction information and prepare your tax documents for submission to relevant tax authorities, including the Internal Revenue Service and state tax authorities. If engaged to do so by cryptocurrency exchanges in compliance with their respective regulatory obligations, we will prepare and submit to tax authorities certain tax information, such as form 1099, for users of such exchanges.
- Analytics Partners.
- We use analytics services such as Google Analytics to collect and process certain analytics data. These services may also collect information regarding your use of other websites, apps, and online resources. You can learn about Google’s practices by going to https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/, and opt out of them by downloading the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on, available at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
- Advertising Partners.
- We work with third party advertising partners to show you ads that we think may interest you. Some of our advertising partners are members of the Network Advertising Initiative (http://optout.networkadvertising.org/?c=1#!/) or the Digital Advertising Alliance (http://optout.aboutads.info/?c=2&lang=EN). If you do not wish to receive personalized ads, please visit their opt-out pages to learn about how you may opt out of receiving web-based personalized ads from member companies. You can access any settings offered by your mobile operating system to limit ad tracking, or you can install the AppChoices mobile app to learn more about how you may opt out of personalized ads in mobile apps.
- As Required By Law and Similar Disclosures.
- We may access, preserve, and disclose your information (but not your data, which is encrypted) if we believe doing so is required or appropriate to (a) comply with law enforcement requests and legal process, such as a court order or subpoena; (b) respond to your requests; or (c) protect your, our or others’ rights, property, or safety. For the avoidance of doubt, the disclosure of your information may occur if you post any objectionable content on or through the Service.
- Merger, Sale, or Other Asset Transfers.
- We may also disclose your information with your permission; however, because we do not retain your login credentials, we cannot disclose access to your data.
- Marketing Communications.
- You can unsubscribe from our promotional emails via the link provided in the emails. Even if you opt-out of receiving promotional messages from us, you will continue to receive administrative messages from us.
- Do Not Track.
- There is no accepted standard on how to respond to Do Not Track signals, and we do not respond to such signals.
- Third Parties.
- In addition to data encryption, we make strenuous efforts to protect your information by using physical and electronic safeguards designed to improve the security of the information we maintain.
- Children’s Privacy.
- International Visitors.
- The Services are hosted in the United States and are intended for visitors located within the United States. If you choose to use the Services from the European Union or other regions of the world with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, then please note that you are transferring your personal information outside of those regions to the United States for storage and processing. Also, we may transfer your data from the U.S. to other countries or regions in connection with storage and processing of data, fulfilling your requests, and operating the Services. By providing any information, including personal information, on or to the Services, you consent to such transfer, storage, and processing.
- Update Your Information or Pose a Question.
- Contact Information.
- ProfitStance is responsible for processing your information. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns about our processing activities, please email us at support at profitstance dot com or write to us at:
223 W Bulldog Blvd.
Provo, UT 84604
Last Updated: November 2018
Be sure to read these Terms of Service below, as they cover the terms and conditions that apply to your use of this website (the “Website,” or “Site”). ProfitStance may change these Terms of Service from time to time. By continuing to use this Site following such modifications, you agree to be bound by such modifications to these Terms of Service.
General Terms and Conditions.
In consideration of use of this Site, you agree to: (a) provide true, accurate, current and complete information about yourself as prompted by the registration page and (b) to maintain and update this information to keep it true, accurate, current and complete. If any information provided by you is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, ProfitStance has the right to terminate your account and refuse any and all current or future use of this Site. You agree not to resell or transfer this Site or use of or access to this Site.
You acknowledge and agree that you must: (a) provide for your own access to the World Wide Web and pay any service fees associated with such access, and (b) provide all equipment necessary for you to make such connection to the World Wide Web, including a computer and modem or other access device.
By using the ProfitStance web site, including any applets, software, and content contained therein, you agree that use of this Site is entirely at your own risk. The site is provided “as is,” without warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including without limitation, any warranty for information, data, services, uninterrupted access, or products provided through or in connection with the site. Specifically, ProfitStance disclaims any and all warranties, including, but not limited to: (1) any warranties concerning the availability, accuracy, usefulness, or content of information, products or services and (2) any warranties of title, warranty of non-infringement, warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. This disclaimer of liability applies to any damages or injury caused by any failure of performance, error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, computer virus, communication line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, alteration of, or use of record, whether for breach of contract, tortuous behavior, negligence, or under any other cause of action.
Neither ProfitStance nor any of its employees, agents, successors, assigns, affiliates, website co-branding providers or content or service providers shall be liable to you or other third party for any direct, indirect, incidental, special or consequential damages arising out of use of service or inability to gain access to or use the service or out of any breach of any warranty. Because some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages, the above limitation may not apply to you. In such states, the respective liability of ProfitStance, its employees, agents, successors, assigns, affiliates, website co-branding providers and content or service providers respective liability is limited to the greatest extent permitted by such state law.
100% Accurate Calculations Guarantee
Notwithstanding the foregoing, if you enter accurate and complete information regarding your cryptocurrency trading activities, and if you follow the website instructions in retrieving all of your Customer Data and preparing your tax statement of cryptocurrency gains and losses, then: if you pay an IRS or state penalty or interest because of a ProfitStance calculation error, ProfitStance will reimburse to pay you the penalty and interest.
ProfitStance is the owner and/or authorized user of any trademark, registered trademark and/or service mark appearing at this Web Site, and is the copyright owner or licensee of the content and/or information on this Website including but not limited to any screens appearing at this Site. You may not download and/or save a copy of any of the screens except as otherwise provided in these Terms of Service, for any purpose. However, you may print a copy of the information on this Site for your personal use or records. If you make other use of this Site, except as otherwise provided above, you may violate copyright and other laws of the United States, other countries, as well as applicable state laws and may be subject to penalties. ProfitStance does not grant any license or other authorization to any user of its trademarks, registered trademarks, service marks, or other copyrightable material or other intellectual property, by placing them on this Website.
ProfitStance reserves the right to change any information on this Website including but not limited to revising and/or deleting features or other information without prior notice. Clicking on certain links within this Website might take you to other web sites for which ProfitStance assumes no responsibility of any kind for the content, availability or otherwise. (See “Links from and to this Website” below.) The content presented at this Site may vary depending upon your browser limitations.
User Conduct On this Site
While using this Site, you may not:
- restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying this Site; or
- post or transmit any unlawful, fraudulent, libelous, defamatory, obscene, pornographic, profane, threatening, abusive, hateful, offensive, or otherwise objectionable information of any kind, including without limitation any transmissions constituting or encouraging conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any local, state, national or foreign law, including without limitation the U.S. export control laws and regulations; or
- post or transmit any advertisements, solicitations, chain letters, pyramid schemes, investment opportunities or schemes or other unsolicited commercial communication (except as otherwise expressly permitted by ProfitStance) or engage in spamming or flooding; or
- post or transmit any information or software which contains a virus, trojan horse, worm or other harmful component; or
- post, publish, transmit, reproduce, distribute or in any way exploit any information, software or other material obtained through this Site for commercial purposes (other than as expressly permitted by the provider of such information, software or other material); or
- upload, post, publish, transmit, reproduce, or distribute in any way, information, software or other material obtained through this Site which is protected by copyright, or other proprietary right, or derivative works with respect thereto, without obtaining permission of the copyright owner or rightholder; or
- upload, post, publish, reproduce, transmit or distribute in any way any component of this Site itself or derivative works with respect thereto, as this Site is copyrighted as a collective work under U.S. copyright laws.
ProfitStance has no obligation to monitor this Site. However, you acknowledge and agree that ProfitStance has the right to monitor this Site electronically from time to time and to disclose any information as necessary or appropriate to satisfy any law, regulation or other governmental request, to operate this Site properly, or to protect itself or its customers. ProfitStance will not intentionally monitor or disclose any private electronic-mail message unless required by law. ProfitStance reserves the right to refuse to post or to remove any information or materials, in whole or in part, that, in its sole discretion, are unacceptable, undesirable, inappropriate or in violation of these Terms of Service.
Unless otherwise indicated for a particular communication, any communications or material of any kind that you e-mail, post or otherwise transmit through this Website, including data, questions, comments or suggestions (“your Communications”) will be treated as non-confidential and nonproprietary. In addition, ProfitStance is free to use any ideas, concepts, know-how or techniques contained in your Communications for any purpose including, but not limited to, developing and marketing products using such information without compensation to you.
Failure to Comply With Terms and Conditions and Termination.
You acknowledge and agree that ProfitStance may terminate your password or account or deny you access to all or part of this Site without prior notice if you engage in any conduct or activities that ProfitStance in its sole discretion believes violate any of the terms and conditions, violate the rights of ProfitStance, or is otherwise inappropriate for continued access.
You acknowledge and agree that ProfitStance may in its sole discretion deny you access through ProfitStance to any materials stored on the Internet, or to access third party services, merchandise or information on the Internet through ProfitStance, and ProfitStance shall have no responsibility to notify any third-party providers of services, merchandise or information nor any responsibility for any consequences resulting from lack of notification.
You agree to defend, indemnify and hold ProfitStance and its affiliates harmless from any and all claims, liabilities, costs and expenses, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, arising in any way from your use of this Site or the placement or transmission of any message, information, software or other materials through this Site by you or users of your account or related to any violation of these Terms of Service by you or users of your account.
Links from and to this Website.
You acknowledge and agree that ProfitStance and any of its website co-branding providers have no responsibility for the accuracy or availability of information provided by linked sites. Links to external web sites do not constitute an endorsement by ProfitStance or its website co-branding providers of the sponsors of such sites or the content, products, advertising or other materials presented on such sites.
Information in the many web pages that are linked to ProfitStance’s Website comes from a variety of sources. Some of this information comes from official ProfitStance licensees, but much of it comes from unofficial or unaffiliated organizations and individuals, both internal and external to ProfitStance. ProfitStance does not author, edit, or monitor these unofficial pages or links. You acknowledge and agree that ProfitStance and its Website Co-branding Providers shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any such content, goods or services available on such external sites or resources.
ProfitStance takes strenuous measures, including encryption, to ensure that your personal information is disclosed only to those specified by you. However, the Internet is an open system and we cannot and do not guarantee that the personal information you have entered will not be intercepted by others and decrypted.
If you wish to make purchases through this Site, you may be asked by the merchant or information or service provider from whom you are making the purchase to supply certain information, including credit card or other payment mechanism information. You agree not to hold ProfitStance liable for any loss or damage of any sort incurred as a result of any such dealings with any merchant or information or service provider through this Site. You agree that all information you provide any merchant or information or service provider through this Site for purposes of making purchases will be accurate, complete and current. The merchants and information and service providers offering merchandise, information and services through this Site set their own prices and may change prices or institute new prices at any time. You agree to pay all charges incurred by users of your account and credit card or other payment mechanism at the prices in effect when such charges are incurred. You also will be responsible for paying any applicable taxes relating to purchases through this Site.
- IRS Circular 230 Notice.
- Nothing in our communications with you (including, without limitation, any emails, web site content, attachments, enclosures or other accompanying materials) relating to any federal tax transaction or matter, is considered to be a “covered opinion” as described in Circular 230.
These Terms of Service and the relationship between you and ProfitStance shall be governed by the laws of the State of Utah without regard to its conflict of law provisions. You and ProfitStance agree to submit to the personal and exclusive jurisdiction of the courts located within the state of Utah.
The failure of ProfitStance to exercise or enforce any right or provision of these Terms of Service shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. If any provision of these Terms of Service is found by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, the parties nevertheless agree that the court should endeavor to give effect to the parties’ intentions as reflected in the provision, and the other provisions of these Terms of Service remain in full force and effect.